Especially in the news business, everyday is the anniversary for something. Just a few weeks ago was the three year anniversary of the 5191 plane crash. I was not in Lexington for the accident, but I remember it happening. It was a Sunday morning. I was still on the weekend shift at FOX 7 and we talked about coming down to Lexington to cover it. Now that I work in the city, I've done my share of follow up stories.
During the days leading up to the anniversary I did two stories with widows. Each were grateful that we were still doing stories. Grateful we didn't forget, but I got the feeling from both they both did not want anyone to put too much hype into the anniversary. They wanted to remember in their own, private simple way and continue on with life.
I think that's appropriate for anniversaries of tragic events.
When I think of 9-11 I don't necessarily think of the day or where I was, I think of how people who were directly affected are going on. There is a wonderful group of people out there who do just that. The New York Says Thank You Foundation.
I met them the weekend of September 11, 2006. The group, started by a man who lost his co-worker when the towers fell, came to Degonia Springs, Indiana to help rebuild a church destroyed during the November 6th tornado. With him were firefighters who lost men in the attacks and others who the group had already helped. One of my stories about their journey to Indiana is on their website. (It's not very good, I was still new, but I'm still proud of it.)
One of the first things I did today was log online to see what the Foundation is doing for this anniversary. Every year, on or near the anniversary of 9-11, the group travels to an area that's been affected by a disaster. Today they are in Little Siouxs, Iowa helping to build a sanctuary for the Boy Scouts whose camp was hit by a tornado last June.
I was so happy to see the group is still out there, paying it forward. If there's one thing we get from the attacks, or any tragedy, helping others like they help you is a good thing to learn. The time I spent reporting on their stories is something I will never forget and maybe one day our paths will cross again.
No comments:
Post a Comment