9.05.2008

Coffee House Comfort

I've lived in four cities in the past five years, so I only have a short list of places or things that offer me the comfort of home. No matter where I live, or what I'm doing there are certain things that stir up the memories of a life that was more childlike.

Tonight I add Coffeehouses to the list.

Taylor, a photographer I work with, invited me to a "concert" his roommate and him were having at Common Grounds, a coffee shop downtown. It's been a long time since I've just hung out at a place like that, so I grabbed a book, bought a cup of tea and checked it out.

Sitting there, watching the people, listening to the music to me is equvilant to a hug from a close friend you haven't seen in years. The smell, the atmosphere, the people, it takes me back.

I think of OU. Hanging out at the Frontroom on Friday nights with Alyson and Lindsay and listening the Aly's latest crush play piano with his band. It makes me think of studying for finals and midterms at Perks. Or catching up with Liz when I came home from school on holidays and catching up on our lives.
I think of high school. If someone asked me where'd we hang out as teenagers, I'd have to say Arabica. I think anyone who grew up in Mentor around the time would say the same. Now, anytime I step foot in a similar establishment it takes me right back there.
My first thought is always Mike.

To this day, I don't know what it was, but the connection we had was stronger than I've ever had with anyone and what started it all was a night at Arabica. It was a Wednesday or Thursday night near the end of junior year. We spent at least five hours drinking mocha's and talking. I don't remember what we talked about, but I do remember when we left, we were the only ones around. The store had closed and the stoplights weren't even working when we drove home. I remember whatever we talked about put a smile on my face I could not put away.

Now, anytime I step foot in a place like Common Grounds, I can close my eyes and be right back there. 17 years old making a friendship unlike any other that always came back to coffee.

Last I saw Mike was probably two years ago. I was back visiting in Mentor and met up with him at some bar. Last we talked was at least a year ago. He was finally leaving home, moving to Akron for something. That's all I know. I don't think he knows anything about me now. Where I live, what I'm doing, who I'm dating or my current life goals. That makes me sad and makes me worry he's not taking care of himself or living the life he dreamed of back when were teenagers, but at least I always have the feeling of a random coffee shop to take me back to those wonderful times we spent together talking over coffee.

I never really attached to any coffee shops in Evansville, and I don't think I will here. It's not the same as it was when I was younger. I can't even drink coffee anymore. The caffeine is too much. It makes me anxious. But the smell and the atmosphere create something much different. It offers an escape from anxiety. A reminder of some of the wonderful moments and wonderful people I've had and still keep in my life.

No comments: