10.19.2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

I had a wonderful 26th birthday! It wasn't anything exciting, or over the top, but I really didn't want much.


My birthday fell on a Saturday this year, which for most would be a good thing. For me, that's my Monday. The other reporter working that day already took the weekend off, so I didn't have any choice but to work. That's fine. If my birthday was really on a Monday, I wouldn't take off work.


The day actually turned out to be a pretty nice one. We went down to Pulaski County where they were giving out the H1N1 vaccine to the public. It was the first clinic in the state. They also released that they had a death in the county two days before, so it was all very pertinent for a Saturday morning story.


Saturday night Greg took me out to eat at the Holly Hill Inn in Midway. Midway is in Woodford county, half way between Frankfort and Lexington. It's absolutely beautiful. Before it was a town, it was just one big horse farm and it's known for farming corn, tobacco and horses.


The meal was WONDERFUL! One of the best I've had in a while. The restaurant focuses on local products, which is always my favorite. I think the best part were the desserts. First was homemade pawpaw ice cream. I first learned about pawpaws when I was at OU. They are native tropical fruit to this region and they had a festival every year near campus. We also had a fruit napoleon with vanilla bean mousse and rosemary creme brulee with a shortbread cookie. Delicious!


I'm not sure what my goals for this year are. I feel like it's time for some permanent changes though. I'm really ready to live in one place, settle down I guess they would call it. I want to find a job that I can still have 30 years from now. Up until now I think all my moving and changing jobs has been very beneificial, but I feel like I've gotten what I can from "climbing the ladder" and it's time to take that and combine it with having roots in a community. I also want a little more challenging. Sometimes I find myself unamused with work. I'm not sure what to do about that, but I want to take this year to find out.

No comments: