10.22.2009

Big Changes

There are a lot of changes happenings at work right now. The company hired new consultants for all the stations. They want to do things a lot differently than it's being done. They want "Multimedia Journalists" which is a fancy name for a One Man Band, or someone who picks up a camera, shots, writes, edits and fronts the stories. I'm interested to see how it works. We hired three, they replace two photographers and one report who have left since the beginning of the year. They all start in the next couple of weeks. We have yet to be told when they will work or how they will work with the way things are done now, which I thinks makes everyone a little nervous.


I think the best thing this consultant is doing is putting a focus on the web. Continuous Coverage online is a new focus for the station. We revamped our website, we're getting i-phones and notebooks so we can update from the field. Everyone has to be posting stories every minute we get new information. It's a big adjustment in the newsroom. We all work so hard already and are always on the go, so adding another responsibility gets stressful.

I think it's important that they are trying something new. They're always saying "the web is the future". Might as well starting trying things out now.

No comments: