Today I covered the funeral for a soldier, who, more than anyone else I think I've covered, eerily mirrors my own.
Staff Sergeant James Hunter died on the 19th in Afghanistan when he was hit by an IED. He was two years younger than me. Born in Lexington, he lives in Cleveland. I grew up in Cleveland and now live in Lexington. He served 10 years in the army, seven of them overseas. He was three weeks into his third tour of duty. He died riding in a convoy with fellow soldiers getting a story. That's what he did in the Army. He was a Pubic Affairs Officer, a job that entailed not only helping the media, but also finding stories within the Army to share.
Today his eulogy was about how much he lived, how much he gave. He was someone who lived beyond his years and accomplish a lot in only a quarter of a century.
It brings up the question that seems to be nagging me more and more lately. What am I waiting for? There is so much I want to do, so much I want to experience yet in my life that I seem to be just putting on hold for no real reason. SSG Hunter is a man who has lived a life not necessarily unlike mine. If he can do so much in such a short time, why can't I?
No comments:
Post a Comment