I just had a really great week. At least looking back at it, it ended with more positive notes than it started on. Honestly, it's hard to remember Monday, but I do remember feeling like I was never going to make it through the week. But I did, and I did think I did a pretty great job too.
For example, I broke two stories this week. That's not always common, but I'm pretty proud of myself. The first, I didn't actually get to report on, but you learn to let things roll off your back and it still was a story in one of our newscasts, so I'm over it.
Back in April I was covered a fire in Metcalfe County where five people, including three kids, died. Seven others made it out, but one, the mother of those children, was not in good shape and was flown to University of Louisville hospital. I called her mother about once a month to check in. Amazingly, the reports on her condition always improved and Monday, when it was a bit of a slow day, I decided I would check in again a little early. Her mom was happy to tell me she was coming home from the hospital that day! I was the only reporter who kept up with the story and we were the only ones to report the happy news. The next day everyone else caught up and we were there for her homecoming party.
I also got a tip about a civil suit filed against a former High School principal acquitted of assaulting a student. I covered his trial. He was caught on tape physically restraining the student. The suit was filed in March, but got a tip to look into it and we held the story Thursday when I spoke with the student's lawyer. The next day the local paper reported the same thing.
Don't get me wrong, we all play catch up here and there, it just feels good to be so on top of it this week.
I ended the week with a great story about a State Revenue worker who was returning a call about taxes, realized the man on the other end of the phone was having a heart attack and got him an ambulance. Good to end the week with a story that will put a smile on your face.
Greg and I also had some breakthroughs, or at least it seems like a breakthrough, when it comes to our relationship. We've been together three and a half years and have been doing that long distance for three years. Lately, we've had some opportunities to try and live in the same city for once. That brings up a lot of debate and I don't even know yet what will happen, but it makes me really happy that we can discuss what's going on and come to an agreement and continue on.
Looking ahead, it's going to be a great weekend. I'm getting involved in a lot here in Lexington, like walking in a 5K for UK's Women's Basketball team charities tomorrow with some co-workers and their kids. Tomorrow night I'm volunteering at the Castle Post's Fur Ball for the Scott County Humane Society. It feels good to feel like I belong somewhere.
Here is some of my work from the week:
Revenue Worker Saves Life
Storms Ruin Reception Site
Inside a Jail Riot (I edited the video for this one myself!)
2 comments:
you're a great reporter. you always had a natural nack for it. glad you got some stuff come through. that's exciting. it will work out for the best in your relationship. You two are awesome togheter.
Thanks Liz! Hope you're well!
Post a Comment