I've put myself in a position I never expected, but I think I'm enjoying it.
I'm not really how it started, but I believe one day I volunteered to fill-in the assignment desk when our real Assignment Editor was off. Tradition is to have a photographer do it, but these days, photographers are hard to come by (they are the first position to go when the money wanes) and I stepped up, or they picked me. Again, I can't really remember how it started, but it's going well.
The current Assignment Editor told me they like me filling in because I will tell people what to do and I don't care what they think about it. I'm sure that's part of it, but I think I thrive and organizing.
The job description at our place is not typical. The assignment editor doesn't really do much assigning. That's what our Executive Producer does. The assignment editor organizes. He figures out who can do what and makes sure they get it done. Now a days it also includes making sure everyone is not getting overtime. That is equivalent to a dog chasing it's tail, but it's really not so bad.
I think I thrive in situations where I can manage and organize. Everyone says they like when I fill in and think I do a good job, but I feel like a lot of that has to do with the fact they look at me as a peer, one of them. If I walked in a stranger to a newsroom and was put on the desk, I think they would have a different opinion.
I do think I do a good job of understanding where they are coming from. I know what I like and what I don't. I know how like to be told things and how I don't.
The thing I like most is I feel like I'm actually being useful. So many times in my current role, it feels like you are just a puppet going through the motions of whoever is pulling your strings. An assignment editor is pulling the strings. I think I am a good leader and I definitely need more of it in my life.
2 comments:
Do I hear you saying you want to be pulling the strings on a permanent basis?!?
I agree with you that you're really good at it. You don't take anyone's bullsh*t. GO ASSIGNMENT EDITOR JAIMIE!
This post made me (kind of) miss the newsroom.
Travis
We (kind of) miss you too ;)
Post a Comment