Three years ago I was helping my sister shop for wedding dresses.

It's hard to believe. It's wonderful, but as the cliche goes, it really does feel like yesterday her and Matt got married. It feels like yesterday we were kids. She was having sleepovers in junior high and I was 8 trying to be part of the fun. She was going on dates and I was in sixth grade asking if I could come along. Or I was 5 and climbing into bed with her just because I liked sleeping next to my sister.
I was lucky enough to get three days at home two days after Connor was born. Needless to say I spent them all at Staci's and Matt's, holding my nephew anytime he wasn't eating. He's absolutely adorable. I can't help but wonder who will he become? Who will he look like? How will he act? He is the first Weiss boy. Will he take after the personalities of his mom and Aunts? Or will he be more like his Dad? What kind of sense of humor will he have? Will he be tall? Where will he want to go to school? What will his interests be? Will he love sports as much as his clothes make him love them? He already has his OSU, Browns, Indians and Cavs gear. What will he want to be?
I don't even know where my life is going. I'm not old enough to be an Aunt. But I am and this little boy will look at me like I looked at my Aunts. Responsible adults. Suddenly that idea takes on a new perspective. Suddenly being an adult it takes on a new reality. Connor is just one more sign that I am an adult. I have responsibilities and am living the life I was always working towards in high school and college. It took the little guy to make me realize I'm not just the annoying little sister, but rather the Aunt.
And standing next to her as she said her vows.
No comments:
Post a Comment