If you ever feel like life isn't going the way you want, or any dissatisfaction for that matter, I have the cure. The Florida sun. I've been here less than 12 hours, but already I feel like the sun has cured any issues, large or small, I may have had before I arrived. There's just something about it. Though the temperature here is almost the same as Lexington, the sun just makes it so much warmer and has such a soothing effect.
And I haven't even had that much sun!
Today is my last furlough day (for this quarter at least). I decided weeks ago to take advantage of the extra three day weekend by visiting Liz. I do not regret the decision.
My flight left Louisville 6 this morning and after a seamless connection in Atlanta I arrived in Orlando around 9:30. Liz was waiting when I arrived and our first mission was food. She took me to downtown Melbourne for a delicious lunch at a small coffee shop. After we stopped by a chocolate shop where Liz used to work part-time. After gobbling up as much chocolate as I could handle, we decided this area could be a perfect place to find a dress of Christy's wedding. Sure enough I found this great jersey knit strapless floor length turquoise dress. I wasn't sure I would like the length, but it is perfect (after a little hemming). It makes me even more excited for the trip!
Our final stop in downtown was a local wine shop with wonderful fruity Florida wines. Key Lime, Mango, Lychee, Avocado...who knew that existed? We tasted several and they were all delicious. I told Liz from here on out that is what I want for any holiday...I'll even pay for her to ship me the bottles!
By this time the afternoon was getting late, so we decided to take a stroll on the beach, then came back to her condo in Palm Bay. The last time I visited it was under construction, so I was happy to see the final product. Of course that was nearly five years ago. The last time I visited was the summer before my last quarter at OU. It was right after Katrina hit Florida and right before it hit New Orleans. My flight took off the morning it hit. I remember watching the coverage on CNN in the airport. They still had no clue the devastation it would leave behind.
We tried to go to the pool, but that only lasted five minutes before the afternoon thunderstorm rolled in. We ran through the rain back to her house, then headed to the grocery store to get real food so I could cook dinner. In true Liz form, the only food in her house consists of ice cream, popsicles and potato chips.
The sun eventually returned. I took advantage sitting in the backyard finishing the book I bought yesterday for the trip. Good thing I brought two!
Friday is going to come too soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment