This short trip back was no different, but it solidified the new mantra I try to live by. We are so lucky that we can visit so many random cities and find old friends to visit with and that must overshadow the feelings of not living in the same cities as are family and so many of our friends.
I had last weekend off because another co-worker need to switch and, as always, we took full advantage. Greg has a love for Dave Matthews concerts and both Friday and Saturday they were playing in Indianapolis. We headed up there Saturday afternoon. We got in town in time to check into or hotel and head out for a ice dinner at Maggiano's. We had hoped to eat somewhere local, but that didn't really work with our time constraints and at least this place isn't in any city where we live. It also made our trip to the concert much more date-like. Neither of us can remember the last time we had a date.
We got to the concert a few hours early and sat in the parking lot and had some beers and listened to some of Greg's CD's. Greg spent many years in and just out of college going to multiple concerts a year with a group of friends. Many of those friends still attend as many concerts as they can, and, of course they were tailgating outside the Verizon Music Center too.
I have only been to one Dave Matthew's Band concert. Staci was a big fan back when she was in college and too me to a concert at Gund Arena in 1998 (I think). I was a pretty big fan back in high school, but that eventually dwindled. I think Greg was a little surprised how many exact lyrics I actually knew. 
My previous love for the band also made me a little annoyed when the 17 something boys sitting next to us started asking "what song is this" when they started playing Dancing Nancies. They, however, knew every word to every song on his most recent album. Greg and I didn't know any. I told him on the drive up we should listen to the new CD. Greg told me he wouldn't play many songs from it. He played at least five, but the songs he played that we actually knew made up for it. Apparently his show on Friday was much better, but we still enjoyed ourselves.
The trip only got better from there. After the concert we met up with one of Greg's friends and a former co-worker of both ours, Aaron, who now works up in Indianapolis. We sat with him and his girlfriend chatting until 2 in the morning.
We woke up Sunday morning and planned to get breakfast at the hotel then head to Evansville to get Daisy and spend a Sunday dinner with Greg's family. Instead, we skipped breakfast and headed to the home of Andy and Aly just to say hello. Aly was the morning meteorologist and Andy was a reporter with me at Fox. They moved back to Andy's hometown about a year ago and got out of the business. They also have the two most adorable boys ever, the youngest a year old whom I've never met. We visited for a short time and I was glad we could say hello.
We hit the road around noon and were in Evansville in only a few hours, despite the usually annoying drive down US 41. The main reason t o back through Evansville was to pick up Daisy. Greg's parents graciously agreed to watch her while we were in Jamaica and Indianapolis. Of course she had a great time running around their back yard. She even got a new blanket out of the trip which is loves. 
As an added bonus we got to spend time with Greg's family. We got in around 3. We took a nap in the basement, then went with Stephanie and Todd to see the new house they're building that will be done in a few weeks. We all enjoyed pizza for dinner, then it was time to hit the road again, back to Louisville so I could be back in Lexington for work Monday morning.
Another whirlwind weekend, but it fills me up with so much joy. I may not have everything in my life how I want it, but what I do have is pretty great and a weekend like that proves it.
No comments:
Post a Comment