1.28.2010

Look Before You Go Off The Edge

We've been talking about it for a long time, but finally Greg and I got a ski vacation off our check list. It's actually the second time this season we've been skiing, which is impressive because last year we weren't able to find any time to hit the slopes.

Noah had his baptism on Sunday, so we put in a few extra vacations days, left Daisy at Mom and Dad's and headed northeast to Holiday Valley in New York. I can't remember if I went there in High School or not, but it's not a far drive from Cleveland so we decided to take two days away.

It's not fancy like going out west, but it's much better than what we're used to skiing. They also had a brand new lodge right at the base of the hill which made the time there that much more enjoyable. If they kept the hills open 24 hours, we would have been out there.

I started skiing when I was in junior high school. The school system offered ski club during the winter. Every Friday a bus would come and take us out to Boston Mills/Brandywine for lessons and skiing. I remember my first time there with Liz. We put on our skis, got warmed up and before we knew it, that same night we were flying down the black diamond hills. I guess I just picked it up quickly because I spent years ice skating, so I was already familiar with the techniques, I just had to get used to the skis. By the time we were in high school, we were traveling to Pennsylvania and New York to ski and had no fear no matter where we went.

I would never dare head down a black diamond now. Every new winter season, my first time out shows my age (and I'm not even old!). When you're 14 years old no amount of height or speed can scare you. You just go. But I noticed myself more hesitant this year than I've ever been in the past. It's not like the hills are tough. It's not like I don't know what I'm doing, but the first time I stand at the top of a hill for a season I find myself questioning what the heck am I doing?

But then I realize, if you don't have the confidence in yourself to take the chance, how will you ever get anything done or have any fun in life? And as soon as I get warmed up, I still love it, no matter how much longer it takes to get down that first hill.

Greg and I are lucky to be with someone who enjoys traveling and adventure as much as the other person. We've been sight seeing in the big cities, traveled abroad to tropical beaches, and hiked the mountains in the desert. I have to say, I think my favorite vacation may be skiing. I almost find it more relaxing than sitting on the beach. Don't get me wrong, I'll never pass up a beach vacation, but there is just something so peaceful about weaving in and out between the pine trees.

Unfortunately, skiing is expensive, so we can never spend as much time enjoying it as wel like. I still dream of going out west sometime. I better do it before I get to the age where I'm too afraid to even put a pair of skis on!

No comments: