1.11.2011

Stepping Up to the Challenge

Despite everything that is going on, I'm finally stepping up to do something I've wanted to do for, well, years really. Be more of a leader. I've tried in my job and it just hasn't panned out like I've wanted. I think there's always been something in me that needs to be in charge, doing something of significance. When it didn't work out in my career I always found an excuse not to take opportunities outside of work, with community needs, until now.

Yesterday I became the Vice-Chair of Service for the newly formed Bluegrass Red Shoe Society. It's basically a Young Friends of Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Bluegrass, to support and promote the work and needs of the House.

I've been volunteering with the Ronald McDonald Family Room at UK Children's Hospital for almost two years now. In an never ending need to get more involved, I contacted the head of volunteering at the house to see if there were any more opportunities to work with the House. It was perfect timing because they were just about to have their second meeting about the group.

I've never done anything like this before. I've tried. I joined Junior League in Evansville in the hope of getting involved, but found myself a bit of an outsider and right when there were opportunities to get more involved, I got my job in Lexington.

Once here, I got involved with the Bluegrass Rape Crisis Center as an advocate. I really enjoyed the work, but due to an ever changing work schedule, it was just too much and I had to leave the roll at the end of my required 6-month tenure. I was invited to join the board, and wish I would have, but I just kept telling myself I wouldn't be able to commit to the role with my job.

No more.

I will not use my life as an excuse not to do something I really want to do. Granted, I'm not sure I know what I'm doing. The group is just starting up and it's a blank slate. On top of it, everyone involved is very involved everywhere else. A lot are connected to the University of Kentucky so philanthropy is a regular part of their world. I've been out of the higher education circles for years now and didn't realize how well I removed myself from that way of life.

It feels good. I hope I can do what's needed. I hope I can make a difference.

If you want to know more about the group or are between 21 and 35 years old living in central Kentucky and want to join, check us out on Facebook.

No comments: