Tonight I watched the movie Mr. Holland's Opus on AMC. I haven't seen it in forever. It was one of my favorites in high school. It still is now, but for different reasons.
It follows the life of Glen Holland. He's a composer who becomes a high school music teacher to make money. The plan is to keep the job for four years while he works on composing. Of course life happens and he spends the next four decades teaching music.
I loved it when I was younger because it was a good story about music. Now I relate somewhat to the theme of making sacrifices and adjusting to life events.
It also reminds me how music has shaped my life.
I get it from my mom. Even to this day she still plays flute in a community band and at church, along with playing bells in the bell choir at church. She got me and Staci and Stefanie all involved with instruments. I started playing piano when I was 7 or 8. I took lessons until I graduated high school. In fourth grade, when we were allowed to join the orchestra, I wanted to play cello, but I could only join orchestra or band, so I waited for the fifth grade to join the band and picked up trumpet. I stayed with that until my senior year of high school.
Just like I can relate a lot of my life now to news, I can relate a lot of growing up to music. In school, I met most of my friends through band. Actually, I think I met 99 percent of my friends through band. That's actually why I stayed with it so long. I was never good, probably because I didn't practice, but I stuck with it all because that's what my friends did.
Friday nights in the fall were consumed by marching band. If you forced me, I bet I could still march the routine to our Chicago show from sophmore year. Summer we were at Edinborough college in Erie, Pennsylvania at band camp. Springs were the highlight with our trip to Myrtle Beach. Looking back at it, I have more good memories about band than I actually realized. I think my room at my parents house has two or three albums full of pictures from band events.
Piano was a bit different. From first grade through the summer before I left for college every Wednesday afternoon I went to Arrowhead music for lessons with Mrs. Messina. Every spring I played in a recital. I'm sure my mom has a box full of pictures from each of those years sitting on a stage in front of piano at Andrews School.
When I got to high school, I started going to competition for piano. This was a much more serious event than I was used to. For months I prepared an approved piece that I played infront of three judges. Then they would rate me by number, one was the best four meant you needed to find a new hobby. Honestly, I couldn't tell you the scores I recieved, but it was through contest I got the best life advice ever.
There were a few other friends I went to school with who played piano, and also participated in contest. They were much more talented at playing the piano. I'm sure they practiced more as well. One afternoon at my Wednesday lesson, I mentioned this to Mrs. Messina. What she told me I will never forget.
She said you can't worry about what they're doing. You just have to do your best. There will always be people ahead of you and there will always be people behind. Some people are better, some people are worse, you just have to do your best and that is all that matters.
It's a conversation that I've found applies to pretty much everything I do in my life. Anytime I worry about anything, work, life, relationships, etc., that comment comes back to me and it makes everything okay.
Mrs. Messina knew what I could do with the piano. She knew how much I practiced. I saw her once a week, every week for ten years. By the time I was 16, it wasn't like I could pretend I was some amazing pianist. But she didn't care. She still taught me, not only how to play piano, but how to live life.
I haven't talked to Mrs. Messina in at least seven years. Everytime I'm back in Mentor, I think to myself I should stop at Arrowhead and say hello. Let her know what I'm doing with my life.
I never realized how much participating in music meant to me. No matter how annoying it was to go to my lessons, or practice, I'm so happy it was a part of my life for so long. It's definitely at the top of my list of things that have shaped me into the person I am today.
2 comments:
Wow, you just made my day!! I guess I did something right while I was raising you! I must have known you mentioned me, because I was trying to stay awake for the All-Star game and thought, "What could I look for on the internet?" Oh, I could see if Jaimie has written anything about Liz's visit to Lexington! But, there it was--I find out one of my daughters finally appreciates the "torture", called BAND, that I put them through (stupid uniforms included)! I had always thought that since I had enjoyed being in band through my school years, my kids would enjoy it too. (I guess I'm just a crazy mom!) Sometimes that isn't the case (and it may depend on the instructors involved), but playing music in a child's life will always have some positive effect on a them as they grow up. And, even though I already knew it, it was nice to hear how you enjoyed time with Mrs. Messina. During Easter, this year, I saw your trumpet instructor, who you could only suffer through a few lessons with, playing for the Easter vigil with the choir and the bells! Now, if I can just get your two sisters to admit how great it was for them also......but, that's asking for too much probably.
Keep that music in your heart!
Love, Mom
I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)
I think the trumpet instructor could only suffer with me for a few lessons...not the other way around.
Post a Comment