7.12.2008

What I love most about living in Kentucky...

Farmers Markets. Lexington has one of the best Farmers Market. Of course as the summer goes on, it gets better and better. When I first moved here, it was about a block long. Now that it's the heart of summer it's stretched for four blocks, offering everything from wine, to flowers, plants, meats, cheese, everything.

Every Saturday morning I'm around, I get up as early as I can and do my grocery shopping. Really, you can get everything you need.

This morning I spent 40 dollars. I got:
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Blackberries
Flowers
Chicken Breasts
Sweet Italian Sausage
Potatoes
Sweet Corn

I made the sausage, corn and a baked potato for lunch. Delicious! The corn was just picked that morning. It was tender and sweet. Perfect. You just can't find that kind of corn at Kroger or Wal-Mart.

I'm not sure it's cheaper shopping at the Farmers Market. I think it depends on what's in season, but it does save me money. I can by smaller amounts of food. I got three small cucumbers for a dollar. That's all I need. Many times I go to the grocery store, buy food, but it ends up going bad because I don't need as much as someone who cooks for more than one person.

It's all fresh and it's all local. Like I said, the corn was picked this morning. The chicken was just butchered yesterday. That makes me so happy. I think because I know where it's coming from and I know what's in it.

Shopping at the Farmers Market changes the way I eat. When I go a week eating all local, fresh food, stopping at a McDonald's for lunch, or any restaurant for that matter just sounds disgusting. I'd rather go home and cook my fresh finds for dinner than eat out any day.

You can't beat the atmosphere at the Farmers Market either. It's hard to put words to, but it's so friendly. You can try the food before you buy it. There are kids and adults playing music. Today students from the nearby culinary school were cooking with some of the fresh fruits and vegetables.

I usually take Daisy with me. She thinks everyone is there to see her. People will stop and say hi, pet her. Even give her treats.

Overall, it's wonderful! It beats shopping in an over sized, sterile grocery store any day.

No comments: