10.02.2008

Happy Early Birthday to Me!

I got a few early birthday presents while I was home. They are currently making me very happy.

First, a flowering tea pot.

I enjoyed a cup of freshly brewed flower tea last evening before I went to bed. It's the perfect time of year and I'm enjoying the tea pot. The flower didn't "bloom" as much as it should, but it's still pretty cool.

But even more than that... I'm in love with my molcajetes and tejolote, which is the traditional Mexican terms for a mortar and pestle. It's made of basalt. These cooking utensils first caught my attention when Greg and I ate at Mama Mexico in New York City a year ago. They made guacamole fresh and your table with a mortar and pestle. It was the best guacamole I've ever had. I mentioned that to Mom, she remembered and bought me one this year for my birthday. I'm already obsessed.

I just made some pesto with fresh basil from the garden. Delicious! I put in a little too much garlic so it has a big kick to it, but it's excellent. I put it over some of my fresh whole wheat pasta I bought at the Westside Market.

I'm still getting used to grounding things by hand, so that made making the pesto a little more labor intensive than normal, but it turned out really well. The only problem I have is the stone is putting scratches in my sink, so I have to be careful if I use it there or find somewhere else to use it.

I'm hoping to try some guacamole next. I'm also going to look for some hummus recipes and I read somewhere it can be used to make meatloaf, which makes sense, so I can try that as well!!

Mom also gave me a few pumpkin decorations and I bought yellow daisies for my mantle. Now I have delicious food and am ready for fall. There's nothing better!

No comments: