I'm not seeing much effect personally in this struggling economy. In fact, I can only see the good things.
Number one: I filled up my gasoline tank for 25 dollars today. Gas was 1.99 a gallon. I looked up in our archives the last time gas was under 2 dollars...June of 2004. It's been four years! On top of it, the price of gas was near 5 dollars a little more than a month ago. I didn't think I would see gas for less than 2 dollars. But if a bad economy means cheap gas, bring it on.
Number two (and the very BEST news): Today our corporate office sent out a note that the board approved our Christmas bonus. A REAL Christmas bonus! I don't know it works in other businesses, but TV stations do not give out bonuses. For example, my last station gave out 25 dollar gift cards to Buehler's Buy-Low for Christmas. The name Buy-Low says it all. It was the most ghetto grocery store in town. I didn't even use the gift card. This year I get one week's pay. Yeah, that's right, I get a real money bonus. That just doesn't happen.
I feel lucky to work for channel 18 when it comes to money. We are the cash cow for our company and we're privately traded. Across the street at the competition, their company's stock is trading at like 40 cents a share. Around our newsroom they are a little concerned about overtime and other small issues, but there's no serious concern.
For that, I am very grateful, in what can be a very rough time.
No comments:
Post a Comment