I got four full days at home. Four days spent with my family and with Greg. It was great. At most I get about 36 to 48 hours up in Cleveland, but this time we actually got a chance to relax and enjoy our time.
We left early Saturday morning and got to Staci and Matt's around 1. We spent time watching Connor and helping get a few things ready for the baptism. After we headed to Aunt Laurie's for a birthday dinner for Grandpa Weiss. He turned 83 and I was so happy I could be there to eat some cake with him. He's my only Grandparent left and it's wonderful to see him still doing so well.
Sunday morning we were up early for Connor's baptism. Personally, I thought it was a long two plus hours, but I know everyone enjoyed the ceremony.

After, it was back to Staci and Matt's for some ribs, chicken and time with the extended family. Aunt Rosie and Uncle Bill were there. It was great to see them. And the afternoon gave Greg a chance to meet my entire family, plus Staci's extended family. We even beat Mom and Dad at a game of cornhole. It was a nice afternoon. We don't often get to attend family functions so I cherish each one both of us get to.

Sunday evening as we left we stopped by Edgewater to watch the sunset and take a few moments for ourselves. I'm not sure I could ever go back home and not stop for a sunset or a walk to the beach, no matter what time of year.

Monday we spent some time exploring the city. We had lunch in Little Italy, then drove to Lake View Cemetery to stop by President Garfield's resting place. I never really knew that was there. President Garfield was from Mentor and we always toured his house, but never did much with his grave site. It was kind of bizarre seeing the casket of a dead president.

The mausoleum was very cool. You could walk up to the top of the building that offered one of the best views of Cleveland's skyline.

From there we stopped by the West side market. Even though it was Monday and many booths weren't open, we were both impressed. I bought some pierogis and got two pounds of fresh pasta for just 5 dollars. That, of course, made me very happy. (More on my food finds and the wonderful cooking utensils I got for early birthday gifts later.) After exploring a lot of the city we headed back to babysit Connor. Then Monday night Mom and Dad took us out to eat at Don's Lighthouse in Lakewood.
Of course every time I go home it's a contest of how much time I can get to see the little one. He has changed so much in just a month. He's bigger and keeping his eyes open more. I can't wait to watch him grow and see his personality develop.

Greg and I left Tuesday afternoon. It's great to make the drive with him. We can take turns driving. That makes the trip much easier.
The weekend was the perfect kick off to October. When we got back here the weather had changed. It's no longer 80, the leaves are falling and starting to crunch under you feet while you walk around. I love fall weather. It means it's time for my birthday, which Greg and I will get to celebrate for a long weekend around Lexington. Before that, we get an extended weekend in Evansville where Greg and go back for his favorite childhood fall pastime, the Fall Festival. For me it will be the first time I go back since I left.
It's going to be a good month. October always is.
No comments:
Post a Comment