When you are on your own, any minor issue can become a huge hassle. Tonight was another reminder.
I had a pretty busy day planned. Work, assigned shooping with an "image consultant" after work, cooking for the Thanksgiving luncheon tomorrow, and much more. Everything was going fine, until my car died.
I had to do a live shot at the Fayette County Detention Center. I drove my own car out there because after I had to meet April, the WLEX image consultant, at the mall to do some "shopping" or browsing because I don't have money to buy a new outfit. (It's a long story and maybe I'll explain one day, but all I'll say now is it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.)
As soon as I parked my car, my battery died. Luckily, I was with a photographer, so Zach jumped the car (Thanks Mom for the bag of "just in case items" to keep in the trunk, that included jumper cables.), and I went straight to Sears Auto Center to get the battery checked. It's been in the car since Grandpa bought it in 2004 and it was kaput. Sears said there were some bad cells and I needed a new one. They would have been more than willing to sell me one, except they didn't have any. Apparently 2004 Kia Spectras take hard to find batteries.
They suggested I head down to Advance Auto Parts, but they didn't have one either. Luckily, the men who worked there were very nice. The only specific battery they had for my car was an Optimum and it cost 215 dollars. Without even saying a word the salesman knew I was not interested, so he called some other stores, but they were out too. The guys at the store really knew what they were doing though. He checked out another battery in the same category, or whatever (I couldn't really follow what he was saying but I pretended anyway) that he knew would work with the car, but wasn't sure if it would fit. He measured both and gave it a tried. It worked! 80 bucks and about an hour later the car was fixed.
It can be a little nerve wracking trying to deal with something like that and not have anyone to turn to if something goes wrong. I don't know what I would have done if he hadn't found a battery that worked. If I had to drive home and park the car, who knows if it would start. If it didn't I would have to rely on some stranger to help, or call someone at work to go out of their way to come and get me and get the car started. I'm sure I could find someone, but it just reminds you how much you're on your own when there's no family around.
I am much better at dealing with than I used to be. When I first moved to Evansville the littlest problem would get to me and remind me that I was alone. When my apartment burned down I nearly lost it. I had two days to find a place to live and move myself. I did have friends and co workers pull through and I found a great apartment complex that was very understanding. I think that more than anything really helped me grow a thicker skin when it comes to everyday hassles. I rarely feel alone now, but it still makes me think.
I guess I should be proud of myself for making it through it all on my own. Of course the repeatedly phone calls home to make sure I'm doing everything right never hurt either.
No comments:
Post a Comment