11.27.2008

Happy Thanksgiving...for everyone else.

I was going to complain about not getting a Thanksgiving. I'm working tonight from 2-11 and then again tomorrow morning, 9-6. It's the news business. It's to be expected. So rather than complaining, I'm going to be thankful for what I've got. That's what Thanksgiving is all about, right? Not just the mashed potatoes?

Yesterday I had to knock on the door of a woman whose two year old daughter died just 12 hours before. It's part of the job and I've had to do more than once. Stop by the house of someone who just lost a loved one in an accident, murder, war. For some reason this was much worse than anytime before.

In the past week in the coverage area we've had multiple horrific accidents involving kids. A five year old was accidentally shot in the head by a relative. She died. Yesterday morning a three year old was raped and beaten. As of last night she was still clinging to life. A week old baby was brought into the Salvation Army with bruises all over her body. And then there was this two year.

Her mother usually leaves the child with a babysitter while at work. The babysitter couldn't help yesterday so she left him with her boyfriend. When she got home the girl was barely alive. He allegedly beat her. He went to jail, she went to the hospital. By the time he showed up in court the next day the girl was dead. He had no idea he was facing murder charges until the judge changed it. While he was in court I was knocking on the mother's door asking her to remember her two year old daughter. The woman had no idea what hit her. She could barely speak. It was awful.

That is what made me want to be thankful this holiday rather than bitter. I'm thankful I have a job that pays well enough. I will be thankful for the large amount of money I'll get for work all the holidays. I'm thankful I get to go home this weekend and spend four days with my family, including my mom's birthday. I'm thankful I get to see my nephew. I'm thankful I got to celebrate Greg's birthday with him. I'm thankful for Daisy who keeps me company.

And much more...

No comments: