11.02.2008

Election Countdown: Two Days

A new president will be elected into office on Tuesday. I have to say I'm a little concerned.

I didn't get to cover a lot of this election, some, but not a lot. I think I did more in 2004 while at OU than I did for the 2008 race. I moved from Indiana to Kentucky right before the primaries in both states. Kentucky wasn't much of a swing state then, and it isn't now, so visits from the candidates are as prominent.

Also, I currently work for a station that doesn't put reporters on political stories.

It's fine. There will be plenty more elections to cover, but I'm still very interested in what is happening.

I feel like this race will not be as close as 2004. That night Brett and I covered a local race with Terry Anderson and Joy Padgett, then spent the evening watching the returns at my apartment until who knows how early in the morning. I still remember the minute Wolf Blitzer turned Ohio purple.

I don't think they'll be any purple states this year. But I think there will be controversy. Based on what I've experienced in the media about the race thus far, I'm worried if Barack Obama wins.

Everyday no less than five emails are sent to the newsroom about him and complete lies about his history. That he is a Muslim, that he is a terrorist, etc. I don't even read them because it makes me angry.

Even worse, last week someone hung a dummy of Obama by a rope in a tree on the University of Kentucky's campus. By Friday they arrested a 22 and 21 year old who turned themselves in. They were charged with theft, burglary and disorderly conduct, all for breaking into a fraternity on campus and stealing the items they used to make and hang the doll.

Oh the outrage that the kids would be arrested, even though they weren't arrested for the actually effigy, but what they did to make it.

It doesn't matter who you support, the ignorance and bigotry that still exists in this country is outrageous. I hope it's just the passion of the election. I hope that if he is elected, it dies down and everyone just accepts him as a president, not distrust him because he is a black man who has a different background than any other president we've seen before.

I hope that it will move this country forward with it's acceptance of diversity, not move it backwards.

No comments: