It seems like there's been a trend of Missing Persons stories. Since the beginning of the year, I can think of at least three people who have gone missing and were not found alive.
Just last week, the jaw of a young mother in Menifee county, who had been missing since January was found in the Red River Gorge. Her family held vigils, stood on street corners passing out flyers with her picture on it, raised money for a reward to find her. They prayed over and over again she was alive. Not only did they not get their wish, but they probably have less answers now then they did when she went missing.
The most recent story is the case of Jeremy Johnson. He went missing last June in Corbin. His car was found a month later. Nearly two weeks ago two men were arrested for tampering with evidence in the case. Since then, it's been a nearly non-stop search for the 25 year old. Today State Police and the Sheriff were out behind the homeof one of the men who was charged digging with a backhoe. The other man arrested was also there, showing the State Police where he thought they buried the body.
The dig started the day before and many of the men searching spent the entire night looking. By the time we left around 3, the still hadn't found anything, but were still digging.
I've talked to Johnson's grandfather several times. I'm not sure he can even explain in words what his grandson's disappearance has done to his family. Each person separately is trying to deal as best they can, but it's not easy for any of them.
As I walked up on the scene today I couldn't help but think how awful. I stood there and watched as they took a back hoe digging six feet into the ground for a person.
I also find the amount of effort State Police and the Sheriff in Knox county have put into that search incredible. So many times we hear these stories of missing people and nothing ever happens. These guys are spending more than 24 hours straight searching for someone who went missing nearly a year before. They're doing everything to find some answers for that family who is on the edge of breaking.
No comments:
Post a Comment