4.25.2011

"No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow."

For now, it's a saying that only applies to the actual seasons. I hope, soon, it will apply to life. I am waiting for the day when I can finally update what is next in life. What new life is about to bloom. Right now, all I can see is I don't know. Maybe, the long winters of 'I don't know' will end soon. What will get me through now, the true joy in Mother Nature's spring.

Number one joy, is the small green buds I noticed the other day on my back porch. My once 'dead" blueberry plant has come back to life! I wasn't sure what would happen after that long, clod Kentucky winter. Amazingly, it did. What does that mean for the actual berries? I'm not sure. I bought the seedling last year from the grocery store and shoved it in a pot. I think I got maybe 10 blueberries. There are quite a few blooms on it now, so maybe I'll get enough for a blueberry pie??

Only the spring will tell.

I also added a few more plants to the patio this spring. In an effort to make my home a little more appealing, I bought some geraniums and some sort of purple flower to liven up the area. (The first free Saturday morning I have, I'll be at the farmers market to add some herbs, cilantro, dill, basil. Can't wait for that day to add some more greenery)I planted the new flowers Thursday, left for work and when I came back from my standard weekend away, I'm pretty sure the geraniums grew a good half inch and they look like they are going to get a few more blooms.

It makes me smile. I never much cared for geraniums, but these, these tiny white buds bring me a lot of joy.

Much of that is thanks to the rain. The never ending rain. It's one of the pitfalls of spring around the Bluegrass. I guess you could look at it a metaphor for life. April showers bring May flowers, etc. etc. etc. Of course around here, it's a lot more than showers. Friday a funnel cloud went over my house. Luckily, all my beautiful plants more than survived. They are thriving.

Let me tell you, I cannot wait to one day take these flowers and fruits and transplant them into a real yard that will last for years and years to come.

That begs the question, when will the my current winter of life end, and bring my own personal spring?

1 comment:

Travis Thompson said...

I don't have the answer, but it's really nice to hear about winter :)