Do you ever have those days when all is done, you are finally decompressing for the night and suddenly you feel like it wasn't you who ventured through the day? Do you ever look back and wonder how did I do so much without even thinking about it?
Today was one of those days.
I have a lot on my plate right now. So much that if one more things fall on it, it may break and I'll crack with it. Luckily, I have family and a fiance who understand and are patient with me. I have friends who will listen, when we can find the time. Despite everything I must deal with personally, all of which is good, but stressful, I still have to get through my work day. Unfortunately, it's not a normal job and I'm going to assume most people don't have to put it on overexerted autopilot like I do on a regular basis.
Today started with more options and decisions to make in my future. Near future at that. As my brain started to go a mile a minute about what to do and what is best, I had to do a quick 180 and go into full reporter mode.
Last week a pregnant woman in western Kentucky was found murdered. The woman arrested showed up at the hospital with her child. Today was her first court appearance. Bowling Green, where all this happened, is not in our viewing area, but this is a big story and we don't have an affiliate in Bowling Green to get video. The managers were hoping Nashville, who is the closest affiliate, would help us out, but they weren't taking a satellite truck, the easiest way to get the video. At that point, I saw the aunt of the woman who was killed post on Facebook they were going to be in court and there would be testimony.
We got out the door at 11, for a hearing that started at 1 Eastern time. According to MapQuest it's about a 3 hour drive. We started making great time, thought we might actually get there early, until we got about 60 miles away and hit four construction zones on I-65. It slowed us down by an hour. My photographer and I were stressing, but made it in the courtroom literally a minute before everything started.
The testimony was horrific. I don't even want to talk about it anymore, but you can watch the story here. In the research I've done, there have only been a dozen cases like this in the country.
I walked out of that courtroom shaking. But there wasn't any time to let it absorb. We had to get on the road. I had to get stories together for 5, 6 and 7. At this point it was 3 our time (Bowling Green is Central Time Zone) and we had an hour before we met up with the satellite truck to feed back the video. After writing and editing two packages, most of it in the car, shooting an on camera look live report and feeding back some raw video for our affiliates we were on the road by 5:30. I had to write another package in the car for the 11 newscast. We were back to the station just before 8 and after I got everything together, I didn't get home until about 8:30.
Luckily, I had enough food in the house for dinner and finally sat down to eat at 9:15. Never mind the fact I really needed to clean my house and get a ton of other stuff done tonight that I now hope will happen tomorrow.
Once I finally got the chance to just sit down, I felt like the entire day happened, but I wasn't in it, I was just floating over it watching it. I guess I've just been doing this long enough to just go through the motions. I don't mean that I do it an uncaring way. I mean I just don't think about it when there's too much to do. It's like when you zone out when you're driving and suddenly you get where you were going and wonder, how did I get here? That's how I feel tonight, and many nights for that matter, except I think how did I get all that done and not lose my mind?
Maybe I am and I just don't realize it yet.
1 comment:
Oh DO I EVER remember days like this. I had kind of forgotten about them, but this post took me right back to how it was at LEX. I knd of miss the adrenaline rush, but I don't miss having to be on "overexerted autopilot" a lot. I think it was a good lesson to learn though. I go on "overexerted autopilot" in a different way now. haha.
I hope April 20 was calmer for you. You deserve a day when you sit at your desk with free time...and all the managers yelling at you to find a story :)
Post a Comment