My relationship with mystery caller 'Albert' is growing. I gave him a television.
You heard me, I gave him a television.
I can't tell you what's wrong with Albert. He clearly has some sort of mental, or maybe even physical challenge. He has no car. He apparently has no money to get anywhere. As I mentioned in the post 'Ode to Albert', he clearly lives for phone conversations about the weather with whichever LEX 18 news employee picks up. Well, most. Some do not take the two minutes to give Albert the forecast and he gets very upset when they are rude and short with him.
When he realized I was on TV, I found his enjoyment for talking with me increased. So, when his TV broke, he was very upset.
It's actually the second time his TV stopped working. The first time our 6:00 producer Katherine donated a used TV she had. We even sent one of our photographers over to his house to help him set up a converter box.
For some reason, last month that television broke. Albert never directly asked for a TV, but as I was doing an extreme spring cleaning to my house I realized I have a television taking up space in my house. I bought it for 99 dollars at Circuit City the summer before my Junior year of college. It's done it's duty. So last Friday I hauled it into work and passed it off a photographer who stopped by Albert's home and hooked it up.
Albert was ecstatic. I explained to him he better take care of it because we aren't going to keep giving him televisions, but I hope that item that serves no purpose in my life, means a whole lot to Albert. Because I have to believe, it's probably his only connection to the world.
1 comment:
That is so awesome. You made his year, and maybe his decade.
Post a Comment