6.16.2008

From Cornfields to Horse Farms

Next week marks two months since I moved to Lexington and started my new reporting job at LEX 18. I have to say, the transition has been pretty simple.

I remember the first months after moving to Evansville. I didn't know anyone, didn't even really know where I was. All my college friends, who I had spent pretty much every waking moment with were spread out across the country. I was alone and it was tough. I remember thinking how much I hated it, how I just wanted to leave. Of course, after two plus years, things changed. I made wonderful friends, and a found a wonderful boyfriend. I learned a lot as a reporter and improved significantly. It all became comfortable. And then it was time to leave again.

Getting here was not easy. It was a good six months of wondering if I would ever make it out, sending out tapes, going on interviews, but nothing ever working. Eventually, it did. And I feel like I got pretty lucky landing here.

I definitely enjoy working at LEX. It's gotten much better now that I have a permanent schedule, working weekends with Mondays and Tuesdays off. I love it. It makes the weeks go faster and I feel like there is more to take advantage of having the beginning of the week off as opposed to Saturday and Sunday. Nothing in the news business is perfect, and that applies to my newsroom, but overall, I enjoy the people, the majority know what they're doing, the equipment works, and I'm already proud of a handful of stories I've done. There have been some rough patches, trying to adjust to the way things work, (it is completely opposite of FOX 7) but I think I'm past it, and have learned how to deal. I feel pretty proud of that considering it's only been two months.

I also enjoy the city. It's beautiful, number one. Especially now that the weather is warm, I love getting outside and there is so much to do here. The world here DOES NOT look anything like the world I grew up in. It is NOT northeast Ohio. Evansville didn't look anything like that either, but somehow the horse farms don't compare to the cornfields. I've been lucky enough to go out a few weekends here and there. Part of it makes me feel like I'm back at OU, and that is a comforting feeling.

I'm hoping to go out more, explore more, perhaps find some volunteering opportunities. I haven't found anything yet, so if anyone has suggestions (preferabbly something with people and not animals) I'd love to hear from you.

I'm very excited for the next three years. If there's one thing I learned from Evansville, enjoy it while you can, because it won't last forever and no matter what you think, you will miss it when it's gone.

1 comment:

rweiss2 said...

Hi Jaimie:

You have had a lot of changes in your young life--home, Athens, Evansville and now Lexington. It sounds as though you have adjusted to them well and each change has been an improvement. Life is full of changes most of them are good ones.

God's peace and love--

Grandpa