6.28.2008

Utter Disappointment

For the last two weeks I was looking forward to this weekend. I took a vacation day Sunday and switched to work days Saturday. It meant nearly four whole days at home. One for Staci's baby shower Sunday, the other two staying with her, Matt, Daisy and Chamois. An escape from the work life in Lexington. Rare time to spend with my big sister before she has her baby.

I was too hopeful...

Due to a short staff, my boss is making me work Monday, my scheduled day off. That means I drive five hours home Saturday night, stay Sunday, and drive back another five hours early Monday morning to get to work by 2:30.

Since I left home for college, I've never called it a place I live. It's always where I'm from, but I reside somewhere else. That never bothered me. I miss Christmas and Thanksgiving, birthdays and nearly every family get together. Never a worry. But I always cherish the time I get to go home. I don't like it being taken away only a day before I'm set to go back.

I hope this isn't a reoccurring theme. Now that I'll be an aunt, I think I may feel like I'm missing out on more. I'll be the one who's only around a few times a year. The one who works in TV and doesn't get holidays and weekends off. Kind of makes me sad really. It makes me understand that I better really love what I'm doing if I'm going to sacrifice so much for it.

On a positive note, the station hired a new reporter today. That means I'll work days Wednesday through Sunday, rather than nights. That means I'll get half my life back on the weekends, so when I want to travel, I can leave in the evening. When Greg's in town, we'll actually be able to enjoy the city together.

I also plan to use the vacation day I had Sunday, that I'm now not getting because I work Monday, to go home for an extra day when my niece or nephew is born.

I'm still very excited to at least have one day.

No comments: