It's probably my favorite way to start the day. I can guarantee it's Daisy's favorite too. The minute my alarm goes off she's jumping all over me to open the bedroom door, get out of bed and hit the road. It's probably the only thing I like about living in my current apartment complex (I hate apartment complexes, but they're cheap and I don't have enough things to fill up a house anyway. I promise Daisy one day I'll get her a backyard, which she is anxiously waiting for.)
There are a lot of places to live in Lexington. There are some very appealing apartments, but most are in the middle of a parking lot, across from a mall or shopping center, and I hate that. I need green space and so does Daisy. Where I live now there is a lot of grass, it is right next to a field, and just beyond the field is a subdivision with a park near the entrance. It's perfect.
Around 9 or ten, 3 or 4 days a week we walk the two miles there and back. There are even a few spots I can take Daisy off her leash, and she relishes. Directly behind the complex in the field it's guaranteed she'll stop to smell something and let me walk ahead. After about 100 yards she'll notice I'm getting too far away and run as fast as she can past me. She loves it.
The park is pretty nice too. It's just a walking path around a pond with a playground. No matter what time you go there's always parents with their kids playing. Daisy loves that too. She thinks everyone is there to say hello to her. There's also a lot of open grass so I can take her leash off at points there and she'll run in circles with a big smile on her face, tongue hanging out. When we're not walking calmly Daisy will run after every squirrel, bird, chipmunk and cicada she can find.
By the time we get back I'm refreshed and she's knocked out. She'll pass out on the bed until she hears me drying my hair or brushing my teeth. That's when she perks up and hides under the bed hoping I won't put her in her cage.
There are a lot of places to live in Lexington. There are some very appealing apartments, but most are in the middle of a parking lot, across from a mall or shopping center, and I hate that. I need green space and so does Daisy. Where I live now there is a lot of grass, it is right next to a field, and just beyond the field is a subdivision with a park near the entrance. It's perfect.
Around 9 or ten, 3 or 4 days a week we walk the two miles there and back. There are even a few spots I can take Daisy off her leash, and she relishes. Directly behind the complex in the field it's guaranteed she'll stop to smell something and let me walk ahead. After about 100 yards she'll notice I'm getting too far away and run as fast as she can past me. She loves it.
The park is pretty nice too. It's just a walking path around a pond with a playground. No matter what time you go there's always parents with their kids playing. Daisy loves that too. She thinks everyone is there to say hello to her. There's also a lot of open grass so I can take her leash off at points there and she'll run in circles with a big smile on her face, tongue hanging out. When we're not walking calmly Daisy will run after every squirrel, bird, chipmunk and cicada she can find.
By the time we get back I'm refreshed and she's knocked out. She'll pass out on the bed until she hears me drying my hair or brushing my teeth. That's when she perks up and hides under the bed hoping I won't put her in her cage.
If this isn't happiness, I'm not sure what is!
I'm glad I have the chance to take her on these walks in the mornings. It's one of the things I like about working night side. When you don't go into work until 2:30, you can get so much done. She is in her cage 9 or 10 hours a day, so I know if I give her a chance to walk and run and chase nature she can dream of that, while she's locked up waiting for me to come home.
I don't know what we'll do in the winter when we're both too lazy to leave the house that early and cold.
Adopting Daisy is one of the best things I've done. April marks two years since we've been together. Evansville had a great Humane Society and found me the perfect dog. I grew up with dogs and when I was alone in a new city I thought a dog would be the perfect first friend. She was. I'm not sure my parents believed me when I told them I wanted to get a dog. When I finally got her, I'm not sure they were very happy, but the first time they met her they fell in love. Everyone does. She's the sweetest, most low maintenance dog you could ever find. Her only fault, she hates being left alone and when she is, if you give her a chance, she will show you just how stressed out she gets. (ie get into the trash. Not fun.)
I was right. It is wonderful coming home everyday and knowing there is someone who is waiting for you and happy to see you. It takes any option for feeling lonely out of the mix.
1 comment:
This is Chamois checking in with Daisy Doodles!! Sounds like you're having a marvelous time running through those "pastures". (Just watch your step!) Maybe I can join you one day soon!
Post a Comment