My dad's father is the only one still living on his side. He doesn't know much about his background either. I did some research on Ancestry.com and found some interesting tidbits like the boat my grandmother came to America on, that left from France.
I am Eastern European through and through. The majority of my roots are from Germany. This was a fact obvious to me from a very young age. Having lived in Germany, my Grandma still corresponded with her family in German, mostly letters. She visited the country too. Those are the little things I remember. The main thing I remember is the food. For the longest time, I thought the meals we ate at Grandma's were nothing more than the food Grandma cooks. Now that I am older, I've learned it's something so much more. It's a tradition. A strong tradition and I want to carry it on.
My interest started after my grandfather past a few years ago. I wanted a piece of all those memories I had cooking with my grandmother growing up. The first were her iron skillets. My most prized cooking possession though is her grinder. This isn't a food processor. It's nothing you can plug in. It's a metal hand grinder that clamps on to the table. It's the job Grandma always let me do while helping make her traditional German meals.
Recently, I tried to recreate one of those meals for Greg. Knockwurst, sauerkraut, warm apple sauce with cinnamon, German potato salad and leberspaetzle.
I have to say, I'm impressed how the meal turned out. The German potato salad was fairly easy and turned out perfect.
We also got knockwurst from the farmer's market. I'm not sure that's really the type of sausage my Grandmother made, but it's German and was delicious.
The most trying item was the leberspaetzle.
All that bacon grease involved means I won't be cooking it as much as Grandma, but I was proud that I made it happened and look forward to passing the tradition onto my children one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment