The stories about the devastation in Joplin, Missouri and all those helping out are never ending. As a journalist, it goes against my nature to not be in the middle of it doing stories. Unfortunately, these days affording trips to other areas of the country or world to cover stories just are not feasible. Instead, we find local angles.
I did one of those yesterday. It's a simple story. I wish I could have told it better, but I think the point still comes across. Click here to watch.
There were several things I personally got out of talking with the family. The first, of course, was the father's effort to teach his young children a lesson. His effort to show them how to set an example. I didn't have time to put it in the story, but he made this great comment about flying by the seat of his pants when it comes to being a parent, but trying to do his best. I have to believe, even at 5 and 8, though it make take a couple decades, his kids will learn that lesson.
The next moment that really sticks with me was speaking with the kid's mother. She was commenting about the spirit of those in Joplin. How they have nothing, but continue on. It's something I'm keeping in mind too. Those people know, no matter what they've been through and perhaps because they've been through so much, they have no other option but to put their head down and move forward. They just have to make things happen.
It's the way I want to, need to live right now. It's time to just put my head down and make things happen.
1 comment:
Yes, but don't forget to look up every now and then so you don't trip!
And, this story is so touching/awful. It's surreal to have people in my Cambodian village asking me about it because they saw it on the international news.
Post a Comment