3.19.2009

Finally, Something Good

I has been a very stressful week, so I am relieved to say my weekend is off to a wonderful start and has a lot of potential.

Today I got a break and work and got to do an inspiring, happy story.

Every year Rupp Arena hosts the boys basketball Sweet 16 State championship. One of the top seeded teams, Shelby Valley from Pike County, has a unique story. Their coach, who was voted AP coach of the year in the state, survived one of the deadliest school bus crashes in history.

I was more than happy to do the story. It was a nice break from all the death and destruction. Like I've always said, it's good to have a mix. Zach and I were getting into it. We shot their practice, did our interviews, then stopped over and Rupp Arena to get some generic shots of the first afternoon game. We were just about to take advantage of the free lunch for press, when we were pulled off the story and told to head down the Bluegrass Parkway to Anderson county where a horse trailer crashed and at least one horse was trapped.

We got there just after the vet. A Mare with Foal was standing in the median eating some grass. It's yearling was trapped in the trailer, which was now on it's side in the median. Amazingly, both horses were fine. It too turned out to be a decent story. Driving back I was a little disappointed I couldn't do the coach story. To my surprise when I got back to the newsroom I found out they wanted me to hand off the horse story, not the coach.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I would probably change some of the writing, but Zach did a good job editing.

A good beginning to a promising weekend. Tomorrow I officially move out of my apartment and have a chance to get some errands done. Greg is coming into town and we're going out for Kasey's birthday. Saturday I work during the day, then head to Cincinnati for the night to celebrate Lindsay's birthday. It will be one of the first time Lindsay, me and Alyson get to hang out since college. They were my first friends I made Freshman year.

Before I leave Cincy I am stopping by Ikea to pick up some odds and ends for the new condo.

I can't wait!

2 comments:

Brian Gilbert said...

Jaimes, I saw the story and enjoyed the writing as much as the editing. Don't be too hard on yourself! The lunch at Rupp was terrible; You didn't miss anything there! Again, nice story.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad we got to do the story! I never did get to see what CNN used it for but I hope they ran the whole thing!