3.28.2009

"Respect me I'm on the Phone, Okay?"

I guess I'm officially from Kentucky. Today was all about college basketball and horses. There's nothing more Kentucky than that.

The big news around here, and much of the country, yesterday Billy Gillispie, head coach for the UK men's basketball team was fired. Thanks to WLEX sports director Alan Cutler, everyone is paying attention to what happened.

After the announcement our station and WHAS out of Louisville were waiting outside Gillispie's office for reaction. When Gillispie showed up, the reporters there, including Cutler, started following an asking questions. Gillispie pretended to be on the phone and just walked by. The pursuit continued through the hallways of the athletic building. Eventually, Gillispie started running, so Cutler, not one to let a story get away, ran too. Gillispie made it to his office without commenting on the firing, kicked the cameras out and that was the end. The video, of course, lives on forever. Anyone who follows anything about UK sports has seen it. Anyone who watched Sports Center on ESPN has seen it.

I don't really have much of an opinion about it. In a way, what he did is what we do everyday. Do anything to get the story. Cutler is cut throat and isn't going to let someone get away. All Gillispie had to do was turn around, say no comment, I'll hold a press conference tomorrow and walk away. Instead, he started running. What does he expect the media to do? Stand there and cheer him on?

A lot of people felt otherwise. The station has been inundated with calls and emails "disgusted" by what happened. I can't tell you how many times I've had to tell someone not to swear at me when I pick up the phone in the newsroom. I am shocked people find it so shocking. Silly, yes, but shocking, not so much.

I haven't really done any stories on the events surrounding UK basketball. I planned to today, until we got word Alysheba was euthanized last night. He was the 1987 Derby and Preakness winner. He was bred on Hamburg Farms, spent the last few years in Saudi Arabia and returned to the Kentucky Horse Park in the fall. He was gift to the United States from his owner King Abdullah. Apparently he's been suffering from arthritis in his hind quarters and they thought he was doing okay, but collapsed yesterday and had to be put down.

I find it all fascinating. It's all part of the culture here in Kentucky. I'm learning a lot and finding myself feeling a little attached.

1 comment:

Brian Gilbert said...

I shot the video of Alysheba arriving at the Horse Park several months ago. There was a large crowd gathered and folks were thrilled that he was back in the states. I don't have an affinity for horses, but many in this part of the country do, and I know that this news will really affect some fans greatly. Horse racing fans have such a strong bond with their favorites and when one passes suddenly like this it is deemed a monumental tragedy. As for the "Gillispie chase" sequence, I reserve the right to comment at a later date, preferably when Alan Cutler is in the room.