7.02.2009

Still Trying to Give Back

I was asked the other day why I feel the need to volunteer. I said it's because I don't feel like I am satisfied enough in the rest of my life. There's nothing I do that I feel like I'm giving back. I have no family to take care of, more and more each day my job just feels like a job, rather than a greater cause, so I thought I'd balance it all out by finding some simple way to find more fulfillment.

I tried in the past to get involved in some activities, but it caused too much conflict with my work schedule. I was very disappointed, but all I could do was keep looking for something that would work. Thanks to a friend who was also looking for a way to give back I found out about the Ronald McDonald Family Room at The Children's Hospital. They only require one four hour shift a month. All you do is monitor the room. Make coffee, clean, stack supplies and make sure all the families coming in and out sign in and out.

I had my first shift today and it was perfect. Right after I arrived about four teenagers walked in looking for a place to rest. They told me they had been up nearly all night because they had no where to sleep. I later learned their 15 year old friend is on life support and they'd been at the hospital with little to no sleep for three days. The large reclining chairs gave them a chance to rest and they slept for nearly the entire four hours I was there. The room was full all day with people coming in getting coffee and snacks, signing out portable DVD players for their kids while they waiting for the siblings to get out of surgery.

It was gratifying. All I had to do was basically sit there, but my presences allowed people a chance to relax during a time when that's not a common occurrence.

Those four hours I spent sitting behind a table at the hospital made what could have been a very stressful, annoying day seem like nothing.

Lately, I can barely remember what day it is, but that's ok as long as whatever day it is, I fill it with something meaningful every once and awhile.

No comments: