7.17.2011

All Aboard!

With a day to ourselves Saturday, Greg and I took advantage of some of the great tourist activities Kentucky has to offer. On this day, that meant heading down to Bardstown, Kentucky for My Old Kentucky Dinner Train.
I wasn't sure what to expect, but we had a really good time. We opted to do the lunch train, which was significantly cheaper, but still worth it. The food was surprisingly good and the sights along the ride were great.

R.J. Corman, a prominent train company around the area, runs the train. They are styled after 1940 dinner trains that were how people chose to travel back in that day. One of my favorite parts was when they told the crowd what type of train car it was, the group of older ladies sitting next to us started nodding their heads like, yup, sounds about right as if they had travelled on 1940 dinner train cars.

It was about a two and a half ride through Nelson County. That included going through the Jim Beam distillery, Bernheim Forest, where they pointed out that we were travelling over a very, very, very old wooden trellis. On the ride back, Greg and I stepped outside the car to enjoy the view. It was a long way down! It ended at Limestone Springs. Kentucky sure is a beautiful place to live and I'm glad they offer many unique ways to see it.

After the ride, we went into town where they were have a sidewalk sale. Their town square is full of antique and furniture stores that we had a great time browsing. Just an example of how small down it is, many of the stores had little signs in the window with couple's names and their wedding dates or the due dates of their babies. That's how they do registries there. They just put your name in the window so everyone can stop buy to get gifts.

I even found something I would love to register for, Crosby and Taylor Ceramic Canisters. The ones in the store were white with silver bird detailing. They are GORGEOUS! (And would go great with that dream farm house I have already bought and decorated in my head). After checking online, I found they not only have canisters to hold flour and sugar, but garlic canisters too in the same white finish with silver bird detailing, which I would love love love!

Of course they were mucho deniro, so if anyone's looking to buy me a unique wedding gift! hehe. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I'm mad I never went on that train. That looks so fun. And, that drop off is scary.