I've noticed a trend in stories I've covered recently. Slow down, be patient on the roads. It's just so easy to get caught up in where we need to be and when and the people in our way on the road. That can get you in trouble.
A couple weeks ago I covered a hearing a few weeks of a man in a nearby county who took a plea deal for killing two teenagers in a car wreck on Thanksgiving.
Witnesses cited road rage when he tail gated them, switched lanes lost control and hit the students car head on, killing them. Fine, maybe someone is going slower than you want, maybe someone isn't getting out of the left lane, maybe they are aren't pulling out when you think they could. Don't take it out in your car.
Today I was assigned the story of a 71 year old retired professor who drove into high water, hit another car that tried to get through the water and got stuck, went off the road and died. His wife says he wasn't the type of person to ignore road closed signs. The Sheriff believes he just wasn't paying attention. I've seen people do it all the time. Wherever you need to get is not more important than taking the chance to drive through the water. It's just not safe.
They're both reminders. You're not invincible. No appointment is that important to ignore warnings. Nothing is so bad on the roads you need to get mad.
No comments:
Post a Comment