I have a three day weekend and it's already off to a busy start.
I spent this morning looking at condos. I've known for a few months that I've wanted to find a new place and Dad had the wonderful suggestion that he invest in a condo. I can rent it from him and then they can sell it and make money in two years when I leave Lexington. Wonderful. Less stress.
I looked at a handful at the beginning of the week and found two that were in the running. I'm worried about the building because I don't think there is any insulation, but they are pretty nice and one has been in foreclosure since 2007 so it's a great deal. Today, however, went even better.
We looked at a few closer to downtown that were recently renovated. I'm in love. They are a little smaller than I would like, but they are warm and cozy. New everything. I can really see myself making a home there. I have another day searching, but at least I know I've found something I love if the others are wonderful too.
After cleaning and packing, Daisy and I hit the road for Louisville. Not only to see Greg, but to attend the Kentucky News Photographer Association conference as well. That is Friday and Thursday, but first, on my way here, I stopped in Frankfort. Kentucky State Police has a new Public Information Officer who started in November. I've worked with him a few times since then, but have never met him face to face. He is the PIO for all PIOs in the state, so if we can't get information out of a certain Post, he's the guy to turn to. He was in the station last week, but I was off, so I thought I could just stop by on my next trip to Louisville.
We spent about 45 minutes chatting, then he showed me around the headquarters and introduced me to who was still around. I also got to peek in on a cadets class. That was very interesting. I'd love to do an in-depth piece on training to become a state police trooper, if we had time to do in-depth stories. It was great meeting him and I'm glad I have a face to put with the voice on the phone.
The next two days is only partially about making connections. It's just a good side effect of the conference. I've attended it three of the last four years. I was still at OU the first time. Larry, Riehle, Brett and I all went together. We stopped in Cincinnati first. Those three were in a documentary class at the time and had to shoot stuff there. Then we headed to Louisville for the conference. I learned a lot. You basically sit in a room for the day and watch other people's stories and discuss them and get inside very talented photographers and reporters heads about how they do their jobs. It's a great way to get ideas. It's also refreshing. The people who show up are people who not only care about their jobs and the business, but also enjoy storytelling. The stories you watch at the conference can't happen everyday, but it's great to see them and know that there are still good stories to be done.
Tomorrow I'll go to the judging. Photographers from across the state submit their tapes for awards. I've never been to the judging part, but am excited just to watch the stories. Saturday is the conference. The key note speaker is a reporter from ABC News who actually started out at FOX 7 in Evansville. I'm hoping to pick his brain.
Greg won't be able to go. Like last year, he has to work. Right now, he's still at work. The stations in Louisville are getting together with first responders from across their area to meet and get to know each other. I wish he would come home, but it makes me happy that we are both working hard at our jobs. It feels so adult.
I have to work Sunday and Monday morning, but am off again on Tuesday. It's not only the inauguration, which I am excited to watch on TV. Our station is sending six people to cover it. I am very disappointed I am not one, but it will be very exciting and a lot of hard work for those who are going. More importantly, Tuesday is also mine and Greg's two year anniversary. We will celebrate by going to look at condos and probably going out to eat in Midway. Simple, but I'm just happy we get the time off work to be together.
No comments:
Post a Comment